Location: Kansas City, KS
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a professional sales representative position with responsibilities for maintenance and establishment of good long-term customer relations in the assigned sales territory. It is imperative to the success of the position to uphold the Team Amerhart philosophy and to meet sales goals and margins as forecasted.
The outside sales representative, in sales calls, uses a detailed knowledge of building materials and a problem-solving consultative approach to meet the needs of the customer and to promote partnering concepts.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities, listed in priority order, include but are not limited to the
Performance of Sales Responsibilities -- 90%
- Prepare for sales calls by setting up appointments. Gather customer-specific information in order to accurately address the customers' needs. Plan the sales territory route for maximum results.
- Maintain an up-to-date file for each customer.
- Use the following call frequency schedule:
a - accounts: Established by customers' needs and relationship with Amerhart.
b - accounts: Every four to six weeks.
c - accounts: when circumstances and needs dictate with a minimum of once a year.
- Use a problem-solving consultative approach to sales. Introduce new and continuing product lines and answer technical questions that will serve the building material requirements of each customer. Promote specials, quantity buying and the stocking dealer program.
- Keep customers abreast of changes in product lines what could be more suitable for their use. Follow up with answers to questions asked by customers in a timely way even when they are beyond the knowledge of the sales representative. Look for opportunities to promote co-op programs, the role of the distributor and partnering.
- Initiate consumer clinics. Develop product knowledge and sales clinics for dealers. Set up contractor shows to promote product knowledge, installation training, sales techniques, etc.
- Write customer orders (show quantity, product description, prices, etc.) on appropriate form using the Amerhart pricing. Provide customer with a copy of the order.
- Serve as a resource to sales/branch and product managers on such things as adding, changing or deleting product lines; competitive and discount pricing, and advertising and promotions.
- Keep inside staff teammate updated on territory business. Share information regarding price and product inquiries. Work as a team to resolve problems associated with customer orders.
- Clarify for the customer Amerhart's credit program. Keep the credit department abreast of circumstances and situations which might adversely affect successful collections.
Performance of Recordkeeping Activities -- 5%
- Write weekly call and sales reports. Submit them to the sales/branch manager.
- Submit expense reports with all appropriate receipts.
- Use an effective system for customer and potential customer initial and continuing contacts.
- Work with customers, suppliers and in-house staff for resolving troublesome situations in a timely and efficient way to the satisfaction of all parties. Complete the appropriate forms and records. Supply customer and product manager with relevant paperwork.
Performance of Miscellaneous Responsibilities -- 5%
- Note market trends as they may be discovered and keep in close communication with sales/branch and product manager for planning purposes.
- Update product and sales knowledge through a variety of means, e.g., supplier seminars, in-house training, trade publications.
- Attend sales and other organizational meetings. Participate in those meetings through sharing ideas, making suggestions, problem solving as a team member and providing accurate information about sales territory. Recognize the interdependence each team member has with not only other sales people but product managers, warehouse staff, delivery personnel and others.
- Be appropriately and tastefully dressed to reflect your professional sales role.
- Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of building materials and application, the lumber market and the construction industry.
- A minimum of two years experience selling retail or wholesale building materials or a bachelor's degree in business from an accredited university or college and at least five years sales experience.
- Demonstrated ability in successful consultative and problem solving sales techniques, methods and approaches.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Valid driver's license.