Location: Traverse City or Grand Rapids, MI
The Branch Manager is a key management position at Amerhart, Ltd. The manager leads the sales and operations staff and performs a variety of day-to-day administrative, supervisory and managerial functions. The Branch Manager serves as a representative of Amerhart, Ltd. in the Traverse City and Grand Rapids areas and, as such, upholds its reputation for high quality standards through the delivery of products and services to the community.
While the Branch Manager is primarily called upon as a problem solver and decision maker with regard to branch operations, this position is also relied upon for input at the corporate level. As a manager, effectiveness in guiding, leading and coaching the Branch Team as part of Team Amerhart is critical to the success of the company. The Branch Manager is a role model for establishing a consultative, problem solving approach to sales.
Key Duties and Responsibilities: responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Performance of Managerial Responsibilities - 70%
- Establish sales/performance goals and projections for branch sales staff and execute a strategic plan.
- Monitor and review with staff their sales promotion efforts. Provide Regional Vice President with summary analysis of the Branch operations.
- Track the performance of sales team as it relates to Key Performance Indicators.
- Work with sales representatives on difficult collection problems.
- Analyze margin and percentage of profit on daily sales reports. Set strategies and plan accordingly to maintain proactive stance in the marketplace.
- Analyze market conditions and advise corporate as to the necessary courses(s) of action to take advantage of opportunities.
- Work with Marketing Manager and product managers to develop specials with established profit margin potential.
- Monitor and report to Marketing Manager the outcomes of sales promotions and keep the appropriate stakeholders abreast of product performance. This includes all pertinent marketplace information which effect growth, profitability and suggest ways of improving and/or enhancing performance.
- Analyze market pricing with sales staff and communicate with Supply Chain organization to set pricing.
- Monitor and review the profitability of each product line and customer segment.
- Evaluate and optimize inventory levels. This includes analyzing the inventory mix.
- Plan and conduct regular and periodic branch meetings.
- Be proactive in communicating with others in the branch with regard to potential problem situations with customers, branch operations or safety concerns.
- Report to the Regional Vice President on issues that affect growth, profitability and community status and suggest ways of improving and/or enhancing performance.
- Continuously develop customer and supplier relations.
- Attend Management Team meetings as an active participant in problem solving and decision making appropriate to the management position held within the organization.
Performance of Supervisory Duties - 25%
- Build and align culture within branch to effectively recruit, develop, engage, and retain top talent.
- Participate in the orientation and training of new and continuing employees.
- Accompany new outside sales team members on sales calls and teach them sales techniques and approaches consistent with established guidelines.
- Accompany continuing outside sales team members on sales calls for purposes of problem solving and training, e.g., collections, pricing for specials. Attend dealer functions with them.
- Train inside and outside staff on product lines, how to quote and price product, problem solving (e.g., collections, filling trucks using incentive programs, pricing for specials) and telephone sales techniques.
- Assign, review and monitor the day-to-day work performance of employees. Provide ongoing feedback and coaching.
- Conduct annual performance management process. Gather input from the employee and others for updating and developing goals, standards of performance, managing values and associated behaviors. Develop an action plan for improving and/or continuing good performance with individual employees. Provide input related to advancement opportunities (e.g. monetary, positions, etc).
- Partner with Human Resources to address employee relations situations.
- Provide an open door environment for team members with timely follow up on questions and concerns.
- Establish work schedules and take action on requests for time off within company policy.
C. Performance of Administrative Responsibilities - 5%
- Prepare own expense report. Review expense reports of sales staff prior to submitting to Corporate.
- Maintain adequate supplies for the warehouse and office.
- Maintain the physical plant and equipment in accordance with lease agreements, where applicable.
- Supervise Warehouse Management System deliverables.
- Maintain high standards in completing paperwork and in branch communications with corporate, customers and vendors.
- Be prudent with regard to expenses, keeping them at no more than authorized spending levels. Special requests for expenditures are communicated through the Regional Vice President.
- Participate in professional and industry-related organizations.
- Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Technical knowledge of building materials and application, the lumber market, the construction industry, and industrial markets.
- Demonstrated experience in leading successful teams.
- Knowledge of the principles of marketing and sales through 10 years of experience or a B.S. degree in Marketing or Business from an accredited university or college and at least five years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability in successful consultative and problem-solving sales techniques, methods and approaches.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to manage effectively within a matrix environment.
- Demonstrated ability in effectively guiding and leading others.
- Demonstrated ability to drive continuous improvement.