Location: Traverse City, MI
Department: Engineered Wood Sales
Normal Work Schedule: Monday-Friday
This is a professional position with responsibilities for maintenance and establishment of good long-term customer relations in the assigned sales territory. It is imperative to the success of the position to uphold the Team Amerhart philosophy and to meet sales goals and margins as forecasted.
The Engineered Wood Specialist, uses a detailed knowledge of industrial materials and a problem solving consultative approach to meet the needs of the customer and to promote partnering concepts.
Key Duties And Responsibilities:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Performance of Sales Responsibilities -- 90%
- Responsible for the design of floor joists, roof rafters and wall systems for new home, remodel, and commercial projects.
- Manage material estimates and arrange on time deliveries.
- Prepare for sales calls by setting up appointments. Gather customer-specific information in order to accurately address the customers' needs. Plan the sales territory route for maximum results.
- Use a problem-solving consultative approach to sales. Introduce Engineered Wood product lines and answer technical questions that will serve the material requirements of each customer.
- Write customer orders (show quantity, product description, prices,etc.) on appropriate form using the Amerhart price book. Provide customer with a copy of the order.
Performance of Recordkeeping Activities -- 5%
- Submit expense reports with all appropriate receipts.
- Work with customers, suppliers and in-house staff for resolving troublesome situations in a timely and efficient way to the satisfaction of all parties. Complete the appropriate forms and records.
Performance of Miscellaneous Responsibilities – 5%
- Note market trends as they may be discovered and keep in close communication with sales/branch for planning purposes.
- Update product and sales knowledge through a variety of means, e.g., supplier seminars, in-house training, trade publications.
- Attend sales and other organizational meetings. Participate in those meetings through sharing ideas, making suggestions, problem solving as a team member and providing accurate information about sales territory. Recognize the interdependence each team member has with not only other sales people but product managers, warehouse staff, delivery personnel and others.
- Be appropriately dressed to reflect your professional role.
- Perform related work as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Experience with CAD using industry-standard software.
- Ability to interpret construction drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge of industrial materials, structural systems and application, the lumber market and the construction industry.
- A minimum of two years experience selling retail or wholesale building materials or a bachelor's degree in business from an accredited university or college and at least five years sales experience.
- Demonstrated ability in successful consultative and problem solving sales techniques, methods and approaches.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Valid driver's license.